Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Possum Kingdom


When I was younger and Pop and I would go on our drives it was quite likely that we were driving and listening to the Possum.  Actually I remember being really young and Pop going around singing along to "I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair." So, I was around it a lot, in fact Pop used to sing his songs to me.  Yep, good call daddy, George Jones songs are always lyrically appropriate for children. 
 (You'd think I would've titled this one after a George Jones song, but no. I'm too clever for that.)

Anyway, I was driving the other day and the Corvette Song had come on the radio.  It was nice to remember all the fun memories that Pop and I had together. 

One time we were "drag racing" the 04 (yeah. it happened. Pop was a BA) with the bass cranked up in the Jeep.  He was in his 70s. 

Another time I had asked, "Pop what's your favorite bird?"  His response?  "Blue Jays, because they're mean!"  And he was so mean?  No, not at all.  He just pretended to be from time to time. 

We watched Braves games together.  The only sport because one time I made him watch the Big 12 Championship with me and he goes, "Oh they play rough," and made this face.  It was so funny.

Another fun little thing he'd always say, "I don't get mad, I get even."  And by that he meant he'd play a trick on someone and they ended up laughing about it.  I don't think he ever had an enemy, except maybe Grandma Franks.  But she came around.

And then  there were times his sense of humor got me in trouble.  Case in point:  He bought me a Jeep Overland Limited jogging stroller for Megan before she was born.  SERIOUSLY?  She got her first Jeep before she was born, I had to wait 18 years.  I had to compete with my own daughter to be the favorite and well, I lost.  It happens.  Back on point though,  he tells his daughter (my bio-grandmother) that he bought a new Jeep.  Her response was a cold, "oh."  He goes, "Yeah that Liberty will be old by the time she starts driving."  Thanks Pop, can't just say you bought me a stroller.  He just had to drag it out.  But he told me her reaction and we laughed a lot about it.  I can forgive him. 

And then there was just just his laugh.  I loved it.  And his familiar snoring.  It was always comforting to hear him down the hall, or when I was little next to me snoring.  I knew he was there.  And his sneezing!  Oh my goodness, once he started he couldn't stop and he was so loud!  Momo and I always laughed and gave him a hard time about it.  Later when we got the dog, he would start sneezing and the dog ran away.  Pop always knew how to clear a room. 

And then when I was little I'd ask what his favorite color was.  "Ruby," and he'd kind of look over at Momo with his goofy smile.

But my favorite, is how he met my mom. 
He was on a date with her cousin Ruby when Momo walked in with two of her brothers.  I think maybe Louise T and Bill?  And he turns to Ruby and says, "I'm going to take that girl out."  Ruby replied, "You haven't seen her dad." Pop goes, "Well I'm not going to take him out!"  The rest is history.   

And now everytime I hear a George Jones song I think of fun with my Daddy. 
The last picture of us that I didn't have to share with a short person.
2007

No comments:

Post a Comment