Monday, January 18, 2016

Best Thing

This holiday season I set forth into a new year, and decided alright.  I love my Lilly Pulitzer but I'll be darned if that planner doesn't own me.  I set forth to be more unplanned and open and instead of a to do list, I was going to make a to BE list.  Be kind, be loving, be open.  So much more attainable. I've got this.  But like most things the Lord puts on my heart, that's not all... It NEVER is.  Ever.

It's not just about what I need to do or what I need to be but where He's leading me.

"One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers-- Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew-- throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living.  Jesus called out to them, "Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!"  And they left their nets at once and followed him.

A little father up the shore he saw two other brothers, James and John, sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, repairing their nets.  And he called them to come, too.  They immediately followed him, leaving the boat and their father behind."

THIS IS WHAT THE GOSPEL REQUIRES SOMETIMES.  We have to leave the familiar and what we dearly love behind.  It's not just about checking off a list but choosing a commitment.  I was so committed to my own father so this hit me hard.  Am I more committed to my comfort zone than I am to my God?

Am I willing to follow where Jesus leads without question? Will I stop whatever I'm doing, my projects, my relationships, my family, my job if it is so required in order to follow where he is leading?  We do secular ministry over here. I have the best job, it's a new job, I just stepped out of my comfort zone, its exciting and challenging!  But I'm not convinced I'm at the Honda dealer for the cars.  I still after a few months cannot see why God led me here, but he has.  We're out of my comfort zone and that's where this new year leaves me.  I've already considered going back when a challenge arose.  I need to invest in Jesus and HIS plan for me, not mine.  Truthfully a challenge isn't a sign to go back but to push forward.  Challenges are confirmation.  I know I'm to be HERE, but I don't know why and that's okay, we don't always have to know why.  Actually a little mystery is nice.  Alright terrifying might be a better term.  But I do know if the disciples can leave EVERYTHING and follow Jesus then I can too.  That's what 27 is about.  Just going and jumping off the deep end and trusting God.  It may not make sense.  It's not going to turn out the way I planned but it WILL turn out.  I need to be generous with my future and invest in the eternal and expect a wild ride.

Maybe BE BRAVE should be number one on my to be list.  The best thing I can do is just trust Jesus and leave the past including my cushy comfort zone behind! Yikes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment