Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Your Mother Should Know

New annoying mom chain status update going around on facebook.  What else is there to do other than dissect it?  I know right, I couldn't think of anything either.

Here it is as seen on facebook:  "JUST A MOM????.....  I can't stand it when people say, "Your JUST a mom?" Yes, I am a Mom!  That makes me an alarm clock, cook, maid, waitress, teacher, nurse, referee, handyman, security officer, photographer, counselor, chauffeur, event planner, Hairdresser, personal assistant, ATM & I scare away the boogie man.  Id don't get paid holidays, sick pay or days off.  I work through the DAY & NIGHT.  I am on call 24/7 for the rest of my life.  And that's just with BEING A MOM.. !! I may not be anything to you but I am everything to someone!!  Re post if your a proud mom, that would do ANYTHING on this planet for their child <3 !"

First off, dear Jesus remove teacher.  Your?  You meant you're.  Dear whoever originally wrote this, I want a red pen so badly right now...  But, I digress. 

In reality if you aren't a stay at home mom you have NEVER been called "just a mom."  You have a work title, or career and people respect that.  If you work or go to school no one's calling you "just a mom."  That's coming from someone who was a stay at home mom.  I was guilty of saying that I was "just a mom."  Because I was.  I didn't need to remind people to pat me on the back for doing what was expected.  Everyone knows it's not like we're sitting around eating bon-bons all day, and if you are, you're probably the mom that is constantly reminding people you aren't "just a mom."  Soapbox over, now begins the fun part of dissecting the heck out of this thing:

An alarm clock... Yeah, I guess.  But I mean, I'm not so sure I want to refer to myself as an appliance.  I make sure my kids are where they need to be when they need to be there.  It's part of the job, no need for a special title like alarm clock.  Fancy pants.

Cook... You aren't a cook because you're a mom, you're a cook because you're a woman.  Now, get back in the kitchen. I kid, I kid.  And come on, mom or not you're going to be cooking.  How else are you planning on eating?

Maid... Ditto.

Waitress... That ties in with cooking.  It's not like you're going to have your toddler dishing out their own food when it's hot on the stove.  Don't be dumb.  Cook/waitress SAME STINKING THING in the mom world.

Teacher... I've already addressed this.  PLEASE GOD ORIGINAL WRITER OF THIS POST, TEACH YOUR CHILD NOTHING.  But also, I mean, I've never really gone out of my way to teach the girls anything.  We count the stairs as we walk up them and sing our ABC's but I'm not going out of my way at all to do it.  It's just guided play at this point.  And later... more like tutor.  I'll be paying a teacher to teach them.  Someone educated to do so. 
*This does not apply if you home school, obviously you make lesson plans that are above and beyond normal mom stuff*

Nurse... So you apply band aids and take care of your child when they're sick.  Expected.  And furthermore, go ahead and say you're a nurse because you're a mom to a nursing student.  Let me be there to watch.  Please.

Referee... Eh, let 'em fight to the death.  They'll learn.  Just kidding.  I've actually got nothing on this one, my kids get along pretty well.

Handyman... Only if your husband isn't one.  And I mean that's more of a home owner title.  Anything I've fixed around the house has nothing to do with my parenting. 

Security officer... You lock that door! Like a boss.

Photographer... Because taking pictures of my super adorable children is such hard work!  I can't see how people enjoy this.  Sarcasm

Counselor... Okay true story.  Mom's are the best for this.

Chauffeur... I'm not wearing a black coat.  They're tagging along with me! Let's hit the town little kids.

Event Planner... Sure, once a year when birthdays come around.  Otherwise you schedule.  Again, part of the mom handbook.  It's what we do, no special title please.

Hairdresser... Ponytails are pretty hard, and applying bows, and again, totally NOT fun work!  :)

Personal Assistant... Who's your kid?  Donald Trump?!  Yes, you assist them in some of their activities but, that's just being a mom.  No special titles please.

ATM... Uh, not spelled correctly.  It's spelled, D-A-D-D-Y.  Get it right. ;)
I might provide anything they need, their dad and I do, but the day those little kids start treating me like an ATM... Lord help those entitled little brats and shame on me for letting them get that way.  If I provide basic needs, you help out around the house and earn your fun, and if you earn it and are grateful you aren't treating me like an ATM.  Case closed.

Oh yeah, that boogie man BETTER watch out, I'll take him down.  If Daddy's not around, because it's totally a Daddy job.

I work through the day and night...  I don't know about you, but I do sleep, a little.  And take a wine-Kate C. break at nap time. 

I'm on call 24/7 for the rest of my life... I have daughters, when they say, "I do," TAG! I'm out! Welcome to the family son-in-law.  I am now available if needed but I wouldn't go so far as to say on-call 24/7.  That's him now.




RE POST IF YOU'RE PROUD TO SAY YOU'RE JUST A MOM. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment